Your Wellness Matters To Us
Soneva’s response to COVID-19
Updated: April 22, 2022
The Maldives’ ‘One Island, One Resort’ policy has served them well, and due to swift and effective action from the Government, the Maldives has been able to successfully contain the spread of the virus, mainly through extensive testing and a significant increase in the capacity of its hospitals.
On March 14, 2022, the Maldives Government revoked the state of public health emergency. This means:
- Both vaccinated and unvaccinated travellers no longer require a mandatory negative PCR test result to enter or depart the country;
- Masks are no longer required anywhere in the Maldives. However, masks will be mandatory if an island has a COVID-19 outbreak, or if the rate of positive cases exceeds 20 percent;
- All arrivals must still complete a health declaration within 72 hours of their departure to the Maldives. The form can be submitted at this link.
For more information on the latest Government requirements for travellers, click here.
On March 1, 2022, we also relaxed our Covid testing policy for all guests arriving at Soneva Fushi and Soneva Jani. This means:
- We will no longer be conducting any PCR or Lateral Flow Tests (LFTs) for guests upon arrival
If a guest shows any symptoms of COVID-19 during their stay, we will conduct a PCR test and follow our existing protocols to ensure that they are isolated until they test negative. Supplementary charges for PCR tests are priced as per laboratory rates.
In cases where the COVID-19 test result is POSITIVE, the resort will ask the COVID-positive guests, his/her family, friends and others in their travel party to isolate in their villa (please note that there are no reductions on the usual villa rate for COVID-positive guests or others in their party). All guests in isolation are welcome to make full use of the facilities within their villa, the surrounding private gardens and adjacent beach. To ensure guests’ comfort and enjoyment, even while in isolation, our full In-Villa Dining service, as well as general housekeeping services, will continue to be available to isolating guests, delivered in line with our strict delivery and service operating procedures. Isolated guests will undergo RT-PCR testing at intervals during their isolation period – following a NEGATIVE test result, and in accordance with the latest HPA guidelines, these guests will then be allowed to circulate around the resort as normal.
Should guests require a PCR test prior to their departure, we are able and happy to make all arrangements. Supplementary charges for PCR tests are priced as per laboratory rates.
ENSURING PEACE OF MIND
- The World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) has recognised the efforts of the Maldives in implementing enhanced health and safety measures, in line with the WTTC global Safe Travels protocols, and creating a safe plan by rebuilding confidence among travellers and ensuring a coordinated approach in restarting the tourism industry. The Maldives achieved the Safe Travels Stamp, which is endorsed by the World Tourism Organization and more than 200 travel companies. The objective of the Safe Travels Stamp is to provide consumer confidence and ensure travellers that enhanced standards of hygiene are in place. It is the world’s first-ever global safety and hygiene stamp for the travel and tourism industry, designed to address COVID-19 and similar outbreaks.
- Soneva’s resort-based medical team have been trained to look after COVID-19 positive guests and observe them. Should any guest develop severe symptoms and have to be hospitalised, the Maldives has built up sufficient hospital and medical capacity to treat COVID-19 effectively. In fact, the hospital on Eydhafushi (Soneva Fushi’s neighbouring island), only 10 minutes away by speedboat, has a new ICU unit with 20 beds. Furthermore, there is a new, state-of-the-art hospital in the capital, Malé, with 159 beds and international healthcare standards. If required, we are also able to organise emergency, private jet repatriation or medevac for our guests. We remind guests to ensure that they organise appropriate travel insurance ahead of their visit.
Wellness has always been at the core of what Soneva offers to all guests. This is now even more important. From a holistic wellness perspective, clean sea air and daily sunshine that generates Vitamin D is just what the doctor ordered.
We encourage our guests to enjoy the healthy foods we serve, whether it is the Ayurvedic elixirs at breakfast, the Andrographis Paniculata (a known Ayurvedic immune booster) that we offer on a complimentary basis, or the many other anti-viral ingredients that feature in our food such as turmeric, garlic, ginger, red onions, cinnamon and cardamom.
Furthermore, our menus use predominantly seasonal, fresh ingredients grown in our organic gardens or caught in the sea surrounding our resorts. We limit the amount of sugar, dairy, white flour, and beef in our menus, instead opting for high protein white meat, complex carbs and grains, and sugar alternatives. We also offer a regular programme of yoga and meditation, as well as numerous visiting wellness practitioners taking up residencies at our spas.
While there will be small changes to what would normally happen during your stay with us, on the most part things remain the same. Which is exactly how we want it to be. Your health and wellness are our priority and we hope that our rigorous standards will reassure you that you will have a safe and unforgettable holiday with your loved ones during your next stay with us.
Based on the evolving situation, we will regularly update this document based on the latest news and recommendations.