Frequently Asked Questions
Who we are; what we believe in
1. Who owns Soneva Kiri?
Soneva Kiri, which opened in 2009, is privately owned by Sonu and Eva Shivdasani, who launched Soneva back in 1995. Today, Soneva is one of the few luxury brands that remain family owned and operated.
2. What is SLOWLIFE about?
SLOWLIFE explains our outlook at Soneva. We take our environmental and social responsibilities very seriously, and are committed to developing our resorts in the most sustainable way possible. Among our many initiatives, this includes using sustainable materials, recycling our waste, eliminating plastics, conserving water, and preserving and protecting the local ecosystem.
3. What is the ‘no news, no shoes’ policy?
From the moment you arrive at Soneva Kiri, we encourage you to slip your shoes into a bag for safekeeping. We believe that a sense of connection with nature and the world around you is only complete when you feel the sand between your toes. We hope to give you a wonderful excuse to unwind and relax without feeling the need to check up on what’s happening in the outside world. You only need to put your shoes back on when you are ready to leave our island.
- 1. Who owns Soneva Kiri?
Things to know before you arrive
1. Where is Soneva Kiri located?
Soneva Kiri is nestled within lush tropical rainforest on the unspoiled island of Koh Kood in Thailand. The island is home to some of the best beaches in the country.
2. What is Soneva Kiri time?
To help our guests make the most of their days with us, we set our clocks one hour ahead of Bangkok time.
3. What is the weather like in Thailand?
While Koh Kood is an all season destination, winter is the best time to visit as the temperature is optimal. Between October to February, the island has relatively cool, dry and sunny weather. From March until the end of May the temperatures are hotter. Monsoon season is from June to September, however this is when the island’s waterfalls are at their best and the resort is extremely green and lush.
4. When is the best time to visit?
One can travel to Soneva Kiri all year round. Dry months are between October to May and the green season is from June to September.
5. Will I need any vaccinations?
There are no recommended vaccinations needed to travel to Koh Kood. However you can consult your doctor for recommendations prior to travelling. A yellow fever certificate is a must for entering Thailand for nationals from the countries listed here.
6. Is there a Doctor on site?
We have a resort nurse who is available 24/7 and there is a local hospital on Koh Kood.
7. How much taxes and service charge I pay at Soneva Kiri?
For villas 21.7% (9.7% government taxes, 10% service charge and a 2% carbon tax.)
- 1. Where is Soneva Kiri located?
Arriving and Departing from Soneva Kiri
1. What airport should I fly to?
Guests should fly into Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok, the capital of Thailand.
2. What happens when I arrive at the airport?
Our Hosts will greet guests as they pass through customs after disembarking from a domestic or international flight, and transfer them to our waiting planes. This means that guests do not need to leave the convenience of the airport, and will find themselves landing to a warm welcome from our team.
Guests arriving on international flights will be met at their aerobridge. For guests arriving from Bangkok, the meeting point is in the Departure Hall, at Counter D24. If guests are arriving via a domestic flight to Bangkok, they will be met at the arrivals gate.
3. Is there anybody I can contact at Suvarnabhumi International Airport if I need help?
Below are our airport representatives:
Soneva Kiri 082 208 8888
Suvarnabhumi Airport 088 227 2566
4. How do I get to Soneva Kiri?
To reach Soneva Kiri from Bangkok, you can take Soneva Kiri’s private aircraft that operates daily from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport (SVB) on a fixed schedule during the day time only.
5. What time are the first and last flight arrival times to Soneva Kiri?
The first flight departs at 06:00 and the last flight to Soneva Kiri departs at 15:40. To be able to make that flight guests should arrive in Bangkok by 13:00.
6. What happens if I arrive in Bangkok very late at night?
For those arriving later we can assist with booking an overnight stay in Bangkok (at the guests’ own expense). Guests will depart Bangkok on the first flight to Soneva Kiri the following day.
7. How long does it take to fly from Suvarnabhumi International Airport to Soneva Kiri?
The transfer time takes approximately 90 minutes from Bangkok (BKK) to Koh Mai Si (MSI), Soneva Kiri’s Airport Island. When guests land at Koh Mai Si they are escorted to the waiting speedboat, for a five-minute speedboat ride to Soneva Kiri.
8. How do I arrange transfers to Soneva Kiri?
Transfers are arranged by our Reservations team. They will need to know the details of your international flights at least 72 hours in advance.
9. Why does the plane only fly during the day?
Flight movement at Mai Si Airport is restricted to daylight operation from sunrise to sunset.
10. What is the price of Soneva’s private plane from Bangkok to Soneva Kiri?
Soneva Kiri operates a private eight-seater Cessna 208 Caravan. A roundtrip costs USD 650 per adult and USD 325 per child, between the ages of 2 and 11.
11. What is the baggage allowance on the plane?
The allowance is 25 kg per person, including hand luggage. If you have more luggage, please let our Reservations team know in advance.
12. Do infants require their own seat?
Transfers for infants below the age of two are free of charge. Due to legal safety requirements, there is no separate seat allocation for infants below the age of two on the plane. Please note, there is also no baggage allowance for infants on the plane.
13. Other than the private aircraft, are there any other ways to get to Soneva Kiri?
Yes there are. Soneva Kiri is accessible from Trat Province (a five to six hour drive or a one hour flight from Bangkok on a Bangkok Airways flights) followed by a speedboat transfer at a rate of USD 1,200 per boat per way (max. 14 persons) or by public ferry (the ferries have fixed departure times, usually before 14:00 hours). It is one hour from Trat Airport to the Laem Sok pier. Transportation from Bangkok to Trat (land or air) will be as per the public tariff. Soneva Reservations is unable to assist with booking the domestic flights or car transfers.
Soneva's Private Charter between Trat Airport and Soneva Kiri can be booked at USD 2,500 per way. A private charter flight from any destination in Thailand to Trat Airport can be arranged. Please contact our Reservations with your query.
Please be aware that Soneva Kiri flights are registered as private charters, exclusively for the use of guests staying at Soneva Kiri. Guests can opt to travel on Soneva Kiri’s plane to Koh Kood, stay one night with us and take the flight back to Bangkok at a later date if they wish to spend more days at another resort on the island.
14. Are there any Fast Track services for guests at Suvarnabhumi International Airport?
Yes there are. Guests transiting from international flights en-route to Soneva Kiri, flying in Business or First Class, receive complimentary Fast Track services and can use the Bangkok Airways Blue Ribbon Lounge on Concourse A, Level 2 (Opposite Gate A3). This should be arranged in advance with our Reservations team.
15. Where is the check-in counter for Soneva Kiri’s transfer flight?
Soneva Kiri’s check-in counter for all transfer flights at SVB is located in the Suvarnabhumi International Airport Departure Terminal, 4th floor, Counter No. D24.
Please note that the check-in counter is open two hours before departure time, and check-in is 90 minutes before the flight is scheduled to depart. Thus, a buffer of at least 120 minutes should be kept between the arrival of international flights to Bangkok and the departure time of the flight to Soneva Kiri in order to avoid any delay. This is due to the check-in counter closing 40 minutes before departure as per the Thai Civil Aviation’s policy. Any guests who arrive late to the check-in counter will not be allowed to board.
16. Can I leave luggage in the Soneva Lounge?
There are no storage facilities at the Soneva Lounge, however luggage can be stored at Suvarnabhumi’s Left Luggage Counter for THB 100 for small (35x56x22 cm), THB 120 for medium (45x65x28 cm) and THB 150 for large luggage sizes. Prices are per day per piece of luggage. Please ask Soneva’s airport representative for assistance.
Extra luggage can also be sent as cargo via road and speedboat at an additional charge of THB 20,000. Daylight restrictions apply for speedboat transfers, as it takes seven to eight hours for luggage to reach the resort from Bangkok.
17. Can I land my private jet on Soneva Kiri’s airport island?
Any aircraft that is compatible on runways of 820 metres can land at MSI. Please refer to the Koh Mai Si Airport fact sheet for more details.
17. What happens on departure from Soneva Kiri?
The exact timing for your departure will be communicated to you by your Mr. or Ms. Friday on the evening before departure. Your luggage will be collected and you will be presented with your final bill for signing approximately one hour before you depart. Our transfer team ensures that all Soneva guests reach Suvarnabhumi International Airport on time for connecting flights.
18. Am I allowed to use the Soneva Lounge at Suvarnabhumi International Airport after my departure from Soneva Kiri?
Yes, you can. However, complimentary lounge access is not available after departure from Soneva Kiri to Bangkok. To access the lounge, you will need to pay THB 500 per two hours per person. Please note that this lounge is located before Immigration and security clearance.
- 1. What airport should I fly to?
What should I bring with me?
1. What should I pack?
At Soneva, we believe in travelling light. Don’t get weighed down with non-essentials by following our useful packing guide:
- Leave your heels at home – our ‘no news, no shoes’ policy not only lets you feel the sand between your toes, but also means your suitcases will be considerably lighter.
- Keep it casual. Take your cue from our laid-back vibe and dress accordingly.
- Don’t bother with heavy clothes – Koh Kood’s climate is warm all year round, so the most you’ll need is a light wrap or shawl. If it does rain, simply borrow one of our rain coats or umbrellas.
- There’s no need to bring bottles of mosquito repellent with your toiletries – we have both mosquito coils and lotion in all of our villas.
- Want to while away an hour or two with a great book? Visit our well-stocked library and choose your favourite tome. Most of our villas also feature their own bookshelves, too.
- Our goal is to completely eliminate the use of plastic at our properties. Please don’t bring any plastics with you (such as water bottles) – we provide our own filtered water in eco-friendly reusable glass bottles. If you must bring plastic, we politely request that you also take it home with you.
- Please also avoid having your luggage wrapped in cellophane at your departure airport. Single-use plastics such as luggage wrap have a devastating effect on the natural environment.
- We have professional photographers and videographers at all our resorts to help you capture that perfect moment, so you can leave heavy camera equipment at home. Please contact us at [email protected] for further details and prices.
- For families with infants and small children, we will arrange all the essential equipment you need, such as cots and high chairs. Please refer to our pre-arrival form for more details, or contact us at [email protected]
- If you’re travelling with children, there is no need to pack all of their toys and gadgets – younger guests will love The Den and Eco Den, our dedicated zone for children of all ages, which includes a Lego room, dressing up room, cinema, music room, and arts and crafts space.
- Need a charge? We provide adaptors in all of our villas and our electricity sockets are multi-standard to fit a wide range of plugs and chargers.
- If you need to stay connected to the outside world, we offer complimentary WIFI at the resort. Should you wish to truly disconnect you can turn the WIFI off in your villa.
- To chill out to your favourite soundtrack, simply connect to the Bluetooth Bose speaker system in your villa. Each villa also includes a television and DVD player.
- Planning to stay active during your visit? We have everything you need, from yoga mats in every villa, personal bicycles and tricycles for guests of all ages, and complimentary use of non-motorised water sports equipment, including paddle boards, kayaks, and windsurfs. We also have an on-site gym.
- Tell us your favourite vintage, and we’ll stock up your minibar or wine vault before you arrive.
- Forgotten something? Our on-site boutique has all the essentials, from natural sun creams to the latest beachwear. At Soneva Kiri we even stock a range of swimwear made from recycled plastics.
2. Can we bring and use our own drone?
Maintaining our guests’ privacy is our top priority, so we strongly advise our guests against bringing or using their own drones. Drone use is completely banned across many areas of the resort (such as above guest villas). If you would like to record drone footage, we recommend that you use our Digital Storyteller photography service.
For guests who would prefer to bring their own drone, there are specific times and areas when drone use is permitted, which are approved by our General Manager. Please check timings with your Mr./Ms. Friday.
- 1. What should I pack?
Accommodation and Services at Soneva Kiri
1. What type of villas can I stay in at Soneva Kiri?
Soneva Kiri offers one, two, three, four, five and six bedroom villas, all with private pools and stunning views of this remote part of Thailand. Our villas preside over sandy white beaches, are nestled amongst jungle-covered hillsides or can be found perched atop soaring cliffs overlooking the Gulf of Thailand.
For example: the six bedroom Sunset Ocean View Pool Reserve, 2,928sqm, the biggest villa at Soneva Kiri, offers a gargantuan swimming pool, water slide, fitness room, kitchen, snooker table or table tennis; and every possible luxury imaginable.
2. Who are Mr. and Ms. Friday?
As soon you touch down at Soneva Kiri, your Mr. or Ms. Friday will be at your beck and call. Our personalised butler service is your single point of contact throughout your stay – as your loyal personal assistant, they will help ensure every last detail of your visit meets your needs.
3. What complimentary services can I expect during my stay?
All of our villas feature a Mr. or Ms. Friday personal butler, who will be on hand to anticipate and respond to every request during your stay. When you arrive, you’ll be welcomed with fresh fruit in your villa, and during your stay you can help yourself to bespoke handmade chocolates, your favourite ice cream flavours, and a delectable array of cheese, charcuterie and preserves from So Cool.
Visit The Observatory, complete with an in-house Astronomer, it offers incredible views of the night skies. All of our guests are invited to use our fully-equipped gym and tennis court, and all of our villas have bicycles and tricycles for your personal use during your stay – a great way to explore the resort! All non-motorised water sports, such as kayaking, Hobie Cats and stand up paddle-boarding, are offered free of charge to our guests. We have motorised water sports at the resort, which are chargeable.
While we encourage our guests to take a well-deserved break from the outside world, all of our villas and designated public areas feature complimentary WiFi if you need to stay connected.
For our younger guests, we offer unlimited, complimentary use of The Den and Eco Den with their programmes of activities – our dedicated children’s zone.
For the full list of complimentary inclusions, click here.
- 1. What type of villas can I stay in at Soneva Kiri?
Experiences at the Resort
1. What can I do at Soneva Kiri?
Where do we begin? Whether you want to learn a new skill or discover more about the world around you, relax your mind and indulge your senses, or explore the beauty of Koh Kood and the surrounding islands, there is truly something for everyone. Enjoy life on or in the water with a range of water sports. Non-motorised water sports, such as paddle-boarding or kayaking, are complimentary for our guests; or you can also try your hand at diving and snorkeling, or you can join a cruise to Koh Rang Yai National Marine Park where unspoilt reefs and brightly coloured marine life live.
Catch a classic film at Cinema Paradiso, gaze at the star-filled night sky at The Observatory or put on an apron and learn to cook your favourite Thai dishes with Chef Benz at her restaurant.
Embrace castaway life with a picnic on a private beach, or celebrate the full moon with a barbecue with your toes in the sand. If you want to simply relax and feel rejuvenated, visit the Six Senses Spa, which has a vast menu of holistic treatments and internationally-renowned visiting practitioners.
For the full list of experiences, click here.
2. What is Soneva Stars programme?
Our Soneva Stars programme celebrates the wonderfully diverse array of guest activities that we have on offer this year; from Michelin-starred chefs and world-renowned astronomers, to sporting legends, celebrated authors, expert wellness practitioners and so much more. Each month has a thrilling programme of special events, collaborations and activities. There has never been a better time to visit Soneva Fushi! Find out more about Soneva Stars here.
3. What days can I see a movie at Cinema Paradiso and how much does it cost?
Cinema Paradiso is a complimentary experience for all guests. We have two screenings at 19:30 and 21:30 every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Cinema Paradiso is also available for private screenings on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, which can be booked through your Mr. or Ms. Friday.
4. What water sports activities are available at Soneva Kiri?
- Non-motorised water sports activities – Hobie Cat, kayaks, paddleboards
- Water skiing and wakeboarding
- Private sunrise/sunset cruises
- Sustainable fishing trips
- Scuba diving
- Marine biology tutorials from our in-house experts
5. What dive sites are near Soneva Kiri?
There are over 23 dive sites around Koh Kood, Koh Rang, Koh Mak and Koh Chang. Boat rides to the sites usually take 10 - 60 minutes. The maximum dive depth of these sites is 30 metres.
6. Where can I snorkel at Soneva Kiri?
There are many spots around Koh Kood which are great for snorkelling. Koh Rang National Marine Park is the most recommended spot. You can even snorkel in our house reef.
7. Is there an age limit for snorkelling?
We do not have an age limit for snorkelling. However, guests of all ages must be comfortable in the water.
8. Is there anything dangerous in the water near Soneva Kiri?
There have been no reported incidents, however it is not uncommon to have the occasional sighting of sea urchins and jellyfish. The resort team will proactively inform guests at the resort when there are any jellyfish sightings.
9. When is the best time to surf at Soneva Kiri?
There is no surfing at Soneva Kiri.
10. What equipment is available in the gym and what brand is it?
- TRX, Suspension Trainer, 1nos
- Treadmill, Technogym, 1nos
- Elliptical Cross trainer, Technogym, 2nos
- Rower, Concept2, 1nos
- Exercise Bike, Technogym, 1nos
- Shoulder Press, Technogym, 1nos
- Abdominal Crunch, Technogym, 1nos
- Chest Press, Technogym, 1 nos
- LAT Machine, Technogym, 1nos
- Low Row, Technogym, 1nos
- Leg Extension, Technogym, 1nos
- Leg Curl, Technogym, 1nos
- Bench Press, Life Fitness, 1nos
- Barbells (2kg-25kg), Dynaforce, 1 full set
- Medicine Ball (2kg-6kg, Maxxfitness, 1 full set
- Flat bench, Technogym, 1nos
11. Do you offer photography or videography services?
So that you’re free to live in the moment, our in-house photographers and filmmakers (we call them Digital Storytellers) are on hand to capture your Soneva experiences. From picnic excursions to family portraits, from anniversaries and weddings, to documenting your snorkelling trip, our Digital Storytellers can accompany you wherever you wish, capturing whatever memories you choose. They also offer drone photography and videography.
If you wish to book one of our Digital Storytellers, please coordinate with your Mr./Ms. Friday to reserve a time slot, or contact our Reservations team.
- 1. What can I do at Soneva Kiri?
1. Is Soneva Kiri family-friendly?
Yes it is. Our children’s Den is housed in a giant manta ray-shaped bamboo structure, hanging high in the treetops. Our Den is dedicated to learning, excitement, and meaningful experiences. Professional child minders pique your children’s imaginations by teaching them to play Thai instruments, unleashing their creative talents with arts and crafts, and watch them at play. The Den is suitable for children aged 5 and up.
At our Eco Den, our younger guests (ages 1 to 5) are invited to play with toys and take part in activities that meet Soneva’s stringent standards of social and environmental responsibility. All children are looked after by qualified childcare experts, supported by local child carers.
2. What is The Den, and what can children and families do there?
Children can play dress up, watch films, learn how to play musical instruments or learn some phrases in Thai. They can take part in group activities or exercise their curiosity in free-play.
3. Do you provide cycling helmets for children?
Cycling helmets can be arranged on request.
4. Do you offer private babysitting services?
Yes, we do. Babysitting can be arranged and is charged at THB 850 per hour (inclusive of taxes).
- 1. Is Soneva Kiri family-friendly?
Dining at Soneva Kiri
1. Where can I eat at Soneva Kiri?
Kruua Mae Tuk (Tuk's Kitchen)
Housed in the classic Thai wooden structure on stilts, it can be reached after a scenic boat ride between the mangroves that encircle Klong Yai Kee waterfall. With a ‘no menu’ dining concept, a vast selection of dishes from around Thailand are inspired by ingredients produced on Koh Kood and the nearby Koh Chang, and seafood caught by local fishermen from the surrounding seas.
Perched atop a cliff, this destination offers lunch, pre-dinner drinks and dinner.
The Dining Room
Here guests will find innovative Thai and Mediterranean cuisine throughout the day. A bountiful breakfast spread can be found here each morning. Take your pick of freshly cut fruit, vegetables, international breakfast favourites and more.
This restaurant served modern bistro cooking, made with locally-sourced ingredients, all prepared using Western cooking techniques. The menu changes frequently, complementing the seasons.
North Beach invite guests to dine with their toes in the pristine white sands. Choose from an array of lunch dishes, snacks and refreshing drinks. Lunch at North Beach is often themed, so expect pit cooking, and the likes of sandwich and burger days.
The Wine Cellar
The subterranean Wine Cellar features more than 350 labels in the climate-controlled cave, where more than half of the vintages are either organic or biodynamic. Our Sommelier is on-hand to host wine tastings with canapés, chocolates or cheese.
Sit back in our bamboo pod as we hoist you high into the rainforest canopy. Gourmet delights and beverages are delivered to you via the zip-line acrobatics of your waiter. You can enjoy breakfast, lunch, High Tea and dinner in our Treepod. Max. 4 diners.
For the full list of dining destinations, click here.
2. Which restaurants are included in the Half and Full Board meal plans?
When a Full (breakfast, lunch and dinner) or Half (breakfast and dinner) Board meal plan is purchased, meals are only fully inclusive as follows: breakfast - Dining Room; lunch - Dining Room, North Beach and Ever Soneva So Spirited; dinner - Dining Room, Kruua Mae Tuk (Tuk's Kitchen) and The View. If guests choose any other dining outlets, the amount of USD 100 per person will be credited for lunch and USD 175 for dinner. Any consumption exceeding the credit limit will be charged as a supplement (published rates apply).
3. Do I need to book ahead for Soneva Kiri’s restaurants?
Tables at our restaurants are based on availability. You can book in advance via our Reservations team, or you can speak to your Mr. or Ms. Friday if you want to book a specific restaurant during your stay. Usually it is not necessary to book in advance, except during peak periods.
4. Do you cater to vegans, vegetarians, coeliacs or people with special dietary requirements?
Yes, absolutely. We have a wide range of menus to suit every dining requirement and our chefs can customise every meal according to your preferences. We offer vegetarian, plant-based and vegan menu items in all of our restaurants at Soneva Kiri.
5. Are there additional charges for In-Villa dining?
For Half and Full Board meal plans there are no additional charges for In-Villa Dining, which includes one appetiser, one main course, and one dessert per guest. In-Villa Dining can also be ordered à la carte for guests who are not on a meal plan (published rates apply).
6. Do I need to be a guest to dine at Soneva Kiri?
No, guests staying at other resorts can also dine at Soneva Kiri, however reservations must be made in advance by contacting our Reservations team at [email protected] Transfers to Soneva Kiri can be arranged privately.
7. Are any beverages included in the Half and Full Board meal plans?
No, all beverages, including juice, water and aerated drinks are charged separately.
8. Do you offer an all-inclusive supplement?
At Soneva Kiri we have an additional All-Inclusive supplement. This is priced at USD 400 net per adult and USD 200 net per child, per night. The following are included in the supplement:
- Daily Full Board (breakfast, lunch and dinner) at resort restaurants and In-Villa Dining (excludes Treepod Dining at Soneva Kiri)
- House brand alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages throughout the day at all outlets and for In-Villa Dining
- In-villa minibar replenishment once a day
- Laundry service
- Selected joint excursions and activities
9. Can we prepare our own food in the villa kitchens?
We can arrange for one of our chefs to cook in your villa for an additional fee. Please note that not all villas have kitchens so this should be confirmed with our Reservations team in advance.
- 1. Where can I eat at Soneva Kiri?