Soneva Fushi and Soneva Jani – Full Time – Closes: August 30, 2021
In 2018, Ultimate Library teamed up with luxury resort, Soneva Fushi to bring the first ever pop-up bookshop to the Maldives. Three years and six Barefoot Booksellers later, there is now a second bookshop at Soneva Jani and we are looking for our next Barefoot Booksellers!
Our search for the Barefoot Booksellers has sparked the imagination of the world over the last three years and still proved that in uncertain times, the dream of a residency among the books, sea, and sand is still universally appealing.
Location: Soneva Resorts – Soneva Fushi and Soneva Jani, Maldives
Dates: a 12 month contract starting ASAP
Every day is different but the core of your day you are based in the bookshop. The retail and arts centre opening hours are [10-2pm then 5-8pm] – in practice you will work flexible hours and have support on site.
Soneva will provide accommodation, meals, benefits as per level and support to administer the Bookshop host to an agreed standard of living in the host village.
Salary: There will be a fixed salary per month. The Barefoot Bookseller will also receive resort service charge.
The Barefoot Bookseller duties include:
1. Selling books:
- on site to guests and villas owners (new owners or seasonal collections tailored to their needs and taking orders for remote delivery to guest’s homes or villas
- outbound liaison with the Kid’s Club for readings and events
- liaising with spa team to build reading into the wellness agenda
- support of celebrity chef and author visits through bookselling at events
2. Raising the Barefoot Bookseller profile locally through social media
- blogging your experience for various audiences
- Instagram posts
- Following and commenting on LinkedIn posts
- Liaising with local Travel & Tourism newletters
3. Develop and trial a range of guest engagement services – reading therapy, digital detox, creative writing, tutoring etc.
4. Hosting dinners for FAM trip as and when required by the Management.
The Soneva Role
Barefoot Booksellers generally engage in:
- Host training – in languages and cultures, life skills, reading groups
- CSR out-reach to local islands and schools – education, setting up libraries, World BD
- Tutorials to guest families
- Reading therapy sessions via the spa
- Creative writing sessions
- Working to identify opportunities for better book collections in villas
- Creative ways to promote reading for pleasure in the resorts
- Official Dolphin Tour guide (leads to marine book sales)
- Introducing films at Cinema Paradiso
- Hosting journalists and travel agents
Experience: Experience in a creative, literary or sales role is preferred but not essential.
Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office; excellent coordination and multi-tasking ability. Hard working with a positive attitude and a pleasing personality.
Language: Fluency in English with good communication skills.