Soneva was the first barefoot luxury resort of its kind, a family of resorts that has always been ahead of the curve. Today, Soneva is still an innovator and a leader in the world of hospitality it comes to design and sustainability.
Sustainability is at the core of Soneva’s ethos; it informs what we do and how we do it. We are dedicated to creating luxurious and elegantly designed resorts, all while treading lightly on the earth.
We are currently seeking a very special individual to take the helm on the expansion of our existing resort in Thailand. This fantastic opportunity will provide the candidate an opportunity to lead our dynamic, multi-national team and deliver our next unique & award-winning resort.
The position requires a self-disciplined person who can handle a broad spectrum of responsibilities; the ability to lead and motivate a large multi-cultural team and demonstrate gravitas and confidence in their communication with all stakeholders. A passion for sustainability and a personal alignment with Soneva’s values is imperative. You will also be tenacious, flexible and have a sense of humour!
- Manage the expansion of a resort in a remote area of Thailand, ensuring its delivery according to design, within programme, budget and quality tolerances
- Work in conjunction with the design (architecture, FF&E, structural and MEP) team, QSs and the procurement department to ensure the project is consistently carried out and the project objectives are achieved, providing technical opinion and leadership when needed
- Prepare and update overall construction strategies, programmes, schedules and other documentation to monitor and track objectives
- Define and maintain a project cost plan covering all aspects of the planed CAPEX / Opex
- Analyse each works package contract and identify the key interfaces, critical path and milestones
- Advise upon all areas of risk to the works and risk management
- Carry out inspections both on and off-site of the works by the specialist contractors and suppliers appointed
- Directly and effectively communicate to the business on all matters relating to progress
- Monitor and verify logistics plans for the works provided by specialist contractors and suppliers
- Advise on the strategy for procurement of all construction packages and organise purchase orders for works required to complete the project and manage the orderly handover of the resort to Operations, ensuring all administration is complete and up to date
- Ensure communication to all team members is clear, regular, and consistent
- Assess and recommend the learning and development needs of production employees
- If requested, assist in the selection, interview, and make recommendations for candidates for employment
- Produce and circulate the Health and Safety Plan
- Ensure regular review to maintain adherence to safety procedures
- Set the standard, promote best practices and lead the way with safety, ensure compliance
- Ensure labour, materials, equipment and subcontractors are available in good time, with regular monitoring and control meetings to review
- Ensure efficient filing and recording systems are in place, and that the records are retained for the appropriate time period
- Provide advice, guidance, and support to the project team, both during the pre-construction and construction phases
- Communicate areas of noncompliance or concern
- Managing and developing contacts with all stakeholders both internal and external
- Implement current waste strategy across all developments
Qualifications, Skills and Experience Required:
- Relevant experience of managing construction projects, minimum 15 years
- Relevant experience of managing construction projects in Thailand a plus
- Relevant academic background
- Chartered registration or relevant memberships a plus
- Understanding of luxury hospitality business
- A strong on-site building experience, able to direct their own construction teams without the presence of a general contractor, is a must
- Strong commercial acumen with financial and analytical capability
- Ability to budget and manage project costs and a solid understanding of financial reconciliation of construction related costs
- Flexibility in dealing with and reacting to changing priorities
- Ability to manage matrix teams including consultants, 3rd party providers and local teams to ensure timely completion and maintenance of global standard for all projects and delivery of agreed milestones
- Ability to read MS project and analyse a construction schedule, as well as the ability to complete one, evaluate updates and changes to the timing and schedule to ensure milestones are maintained
- Excellent communication skills, present and share information effectively, and work confidently with cross functional teams
- Experience of managing multiple projects and a proven track record of delivering against pre-determined requirements in a timely manner.
- Excellent prioritization skills
- Experience in implementing sustainable construction solutions, aiming at achieving net zero
- Extensive experience in timber construction
- Experience in carrying out projects in remote locations a plus
- Fluent in Thai is a plus
Soneva is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our hosts.